An interactive resource that aims to create a context in which social work students can empathise with service users and feel and understand why Welsh-medium services are an important consideration.
The module is based on 5 units which focus on:
- understanding language need;
- going under the skin of the bilingual experience;
- considering the context of the Welsh language – its current condition, its history and the impact on service users;
- exploring the relationship between language and power, the implications of the More than just words strategy and active offer, and
- getting ready to practise and work in accordance with More than just words.
Ideally, students should work their way through the materials from unit 1 to 5 as discussion and learning builds incrementally from one to the other. However, the units are also self-contained to a large extent and units, or parts of a unit, may be lifted and used in conjunction with other modules or learning materials.